Tuesday 25 April 2017

Project: ATOM

Literature, and poetry in particular, is often met with mixed feelings by teenagers. Sometimes, they think it's an old-fashioned form of writing which doesn't have a lot in common with their lives. To challenge that misconception, we have faced students with poems written by some of the best English poets of all time, and we have challenged the students to find a connection between themselves and the poems. We have done this by identifying the themes in each poem, and then, by linking them to current aspects of people's lives. 
The students were then required to produce a piece of writing based on or inspired by the classic poem of their choice. 

In this story, our students have used a Shakespearean sonnet as a springboard for a futuristic tale.

Written by Pablo Aznar, Alejandro Álvaro and Jaime López.

In the year 2617, human robotic technology has reached its peak in matters of advance and innovation. Robots are now essential in our daily lives, taking part in every aspect of it. Thanks to new AI technology, robots are becoming more and more independent from humans, being capable of thinking by themselves in some cases. Tecnicrea Enterprises, global leaders in robotics, with the collaboration of their head engineer and leader of the R&D department William Shakespeare, descendant of the famous writer, poet and playwright, are now developing an AI capable of being completely independent by thinking and acting by itself without human interaction or management. This project is called PROJECT: ATOM.


Diary of PROJECT: ATOM by William Shakespeare


Diary of William Shakespeare. 2.4.2617


The main development of the AI has been successfully completed after months of work, and has been attached to a robotic corpse of humanoid shape. This new AI is being tested in various situations and showed some programming errors. Further improvements in mobility and error and bug fixes are required.


Diary of William Shakespeare. 4.4.2617
The AI has finally finished his primary brain development and started to talk and make questions to itself, well…. himself now.
  • Recording of conversation
    • ATOM: Mr. William can I ask you a question?
    • W.S: Just call me William. Of course, you can ask.
    • ATOM: I would like to know what my name is, William?
    • W:S: Your name is ATOM.
    • ATOM: And why that name?
    • …...
By asking why that name, he reminded me of a three year old asking his parents questions. He has also started to learn, and shows an astonishing ability to learn from every situation.


Diary of William Shakespeare. 8.6.2617
After months of tests and experiments, ATOM is now reacting to specific situations just like a human being would: improvising. He has also started to interact with various humans, apart from me, and also other robot companions in different situations.
He is now learning from our history and culture and is always asking questions about it. Luckily for me, a professional in human history helps me answer those questions caused by curiosity.


Diary of William Shakespeare. 15.8.2617
He has finally finished his ‘history class’ and when ending it he asked me
  • Recording of conversation
    • ATOM: William, why can human cruelty reach such levels? And afterwards make beauty and love?
    • W.S: Never doubt humans in terms of cruelty. We can be cruel and kind and switch from one to the other in a matter of seconds.
At the same time as he was learning about our history, he also learned about writers and philosophers such as Kant, Aristotle and other important thinkers. And just like a philosopher would do, he started asking deeper questions about his life and purpose in it, just like a human being does in his midlife crisis.
  • Recording
    • ATOM: Why have I been created?.... What have I been created for?..... Why am I here?....... Am I doing the things I should?
    • W.S: My dear ATOM, there is only one being in the universe that can answer those questions…
    • ATOM: WHO IS HE? I NEED ANSWERS
    • W.S: Only you can.

Diary of William Shakespeare. 30.11.2617
The part of the project of developing feelings has now started and after showing ATOM various videos, films and books he questioned me about them.
  • Recording of conversation
    • ATOM: William, why do people cry? How does it feel?
    • W.S: There are several reasons why somebody would cry: happiness, sadness, euphoria…  love…
    • ATOM: And what is love, WIlliam?
    • W.S: Let me answer you that question with a sonnet written by one of my ancestors… Someone sang it to me when I was little and lovesick, this is how it goes...
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
  If this be error and upon me proved,
  I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

    • ATOM: Is that a tear I see running down your face?
    • W.S : May I ask you the same, my dear ATOM?

No comments:

Post a Comment